Founded in 1871, the market was initially known as 'Mahatma Jyotirao Phule Market'. It got the name 'Crawford Market' after city's Municipal Commissioner, Arthur Crawford. The construction of the market building was completed in 1869 and businesses commenced in 1871. At the time, the British would often send their domestic help to buy the freshest produce from the market. The British were also the first to start selling hordes of important foods in one single place. Therefore, if you are looking for some good deals on fruit and vegetables and some imported food, then, Crawford Market is the place to be.
Spread over a vast area of 72,000 sq. yards, Crawford Market is extremely famous for its architecture. The impressive frieze at the entrance of the market will astonish the tourists. The place is also designed in such a manner so that it receives ample sunlight during the day. One of the main features of this market is the Clock Tower, adorned with intricate Victorian carvings. Built in 1871, this market was designed and conceptualized by William Emerson. Another interesting fact is that the market first got electricity in 1882, and became the first market in India to receive electricity.
On some parts of the building, tourists will also be able to view Gothic styles of architecture. The stone fountains in the center of the market are also worth a visit. The exteriors of Crawford Market are also adorned with wall paintings, murals and pictures of Indian farmers working in fields. Spanning a colossal area of approximately 24,000 sq. m, the construction is made out of 'Kurla stone' and 'Red stone' from Bassein.
Crawford Market Goods